Thursday, April 24, 2008

Caught stealing home: Expos' ace Juarez arrested on immigration charges

Washington Nationals ace starting pitcher Carlos Juarez was arrested last night, following a federal immigration raid on his Miami home.
The sting at Juarez's residence led to the arrest of twelve illegal immigrants; Juarez himself is an immigrant from Cuba, and most of those found are believed to be his relatives. After being arrested near his home, Juarez was released last night on $250,000 bail.

According to FBI Special Agent Lawrence Malloy, "Twelve illegal immigrants, four laptop computers, and SUV and a yacht" were seized from Juarez's home.

Juarez, a perrenial all-star and four-time Cy Young award-winner, faced reporters in a press conference this morning.

"I wanted everyone that I care about to have a better life," said Juarez. "I brought twelve immigrants over from Cuba, whom were living in my home."







The unrepentant Juarez announced his commitment towards raising awareness about the state of affairs in Cuba, and noted that he plans on continuing to work with immigration lobbying groups.

"I'm an athlete, not a role model," said Juarez, when questioned about the apparent double standard of declaring respect for the laws of the United States, but then acting unremorseful regarding the charges against him. "Doctors, teachers, lawyers...They should be role models, said Juarez. "I play a game for a living. I don't see myself as a role model, but other people do...I've never had any runs with the law before."

It is still unclear what legal charges will be pressed against the talented pitcher, who is seen as the face of the Expos' franchise, or how his season will be affected.

"I want kids to be responsible," said Juarez. "But, if you have the ability and resources to help your family, I believe you have a duty to do so."


Credits:
Article - Nick Bush
Audio - Ryan Damon
Audio Slideshow - Kerriann Kelley
Video - Pamela Lawn

No comments: